Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Matriarch Patriarch

Roles

I come from a strong family.   A family run by the women and backed up by the men.  My grandmother ran the show and was the glue that held the extended family together.  When she passed away the family never fully recovered.  I was lucky to experience the kind of family that a strong relationship produces.  In my later experiences I see that our family was an anomaly;  nobody in our family ever got divorced.  My parents actually loved each other and I know that it was the same for all of my aunts and uncles as well.  There is no denying that there were problems, disagreements and disappointments... we had plenty of ghosts in the closet like any other family.  But, no matter what, we were all kept in line and put on the right path by strong female leadership that was backed by a strong male presence.

I am not saying that this is what you must have in order to become a whole person.  The definition of "family" can mean many things all of which can work if the members put forth an honest effort to make it work.  This is where I came from, my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment