Saturday, March 24, 2012

Stuck at Work

Occupation

How did I get here?

My first job was a paper route, I think I was 12.  My route covered the area from Willow street north to the tracks between Chase and Washington.  This neighborhood is an older part of Wheaton, and was always a mixed income neighborhood.  Just south of the train tracks you would find students for Wheaton College and some lower income homes and apartments.  As you move south away from the tracks the income level grows by each street.  

Back in the late 80's when I delivered papers there the neighborhood was mostly older folks, if I had to guess I would say the average age of my customers was about 65.  I helped the people on my route; I mowed the lawn for one of my customers, and once I helped another set up their garage sale.  I usually got pretty good tips on the holidays, most of my customers lived through the depression so they appreciated the plight of the young paperboy trying to earn a dime.  

They weren't all good though, I had one customer spit at me... a grown man spitting at a child.  I got hit by a car while riding my bike to deliver papers on halloween when I was in sixth grade, obviously not on purpose.  I ended up throwing my last bundle of papers into a vacant house down the street instead of delivering them.  

I am not sure how long I had my paper route, couldn't have been more than a year or two.  I don't think they really had paper routes for kids too much longer after I had mine.  It's kind of weird that no one will be sending their 12 year old a couple of miles away to deliver paper to strangers.... wait that isn't weird anymore is it?  What would happen to someone who sent their 12 year old child on a paper route now?  Probably get arrested.

That was the first work experience I got payed for.
It was a valuable experience and one that I am glad I was able to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment