Saturday, August 8, 2009

Places

I still have trouble working through the idea. That is why I make the images. Just another way to express my love for the places I get to explore. It is a radio station that only plays songs by Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp and Van Morrison. These places are 'now' living then and 'then' living now. It is my childhood and my vision of what the place I live in is and was... if that makes sense. See these places....

The yardsale... and beyond. It is weird that it is a normal thing to put all of the stuff you own but don't want anymore out in your yard and invite anyone passing by to come in and buy it. It is almost a uniquely American thing. This was a great opportunity to get onto some ones property and see a part of their life on display.

The 'crossroads' holds a special place in American history and folklore. It is where the Devil taught us the blues. It is where we come to when we don't know what to do. It is where towns are born and people meet. There are many different ways to go but, if you don't pick the right direction you will not get where you want to go. As a child I saw the crossroads I came to as landmarks. They were always recognizable by the signs and advertising that they were marked with. Maybe this is something I need to look further into....

I took a lot of images of the buildings and the actual fire. The most successful ones were of the people watching the fire. It reminds me of WeeGee. He didn't make images of the crime scenes; he made images of the people looking at the crime scene. Vastly more interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment