Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Human Effect



One of the themes that I am looking at with my work is the concept of the interaction between human made objects and nature.  It is not only the effect that humans have on their natural surroundings but how the natural surroundings effect humans and their creations.  We use natural materials to create structures that are both necessary and convenient.  Mulch to create pathways and keep our gardens free of weeds; steel taken from the ground and refined to make the container that holds kitchen grease (from animal fat) behind a restaurant; sand, gravel and water that make the brick pavers to build the retention wall that keeps erosion from taking away the land that a new home will sit on.  We are truly industrious creatures.  I find the processes fascinating.  I find the places we use the processes and the processed materials fascinating.  The more I see, the more I want to learn; the more I learn, the more I want to know.

Reading List-

Finished-
Hard Times- Charles Dickens

Picked up-
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and other stories- Robert Louis Stevenson
The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde
The Spy- James Fennimore Cooper

Reading-
The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment